This is a focused training: it begins with an 8 a.m. networking breakfast and includes a working lunch and meaningful interaction with trainers and peers. Participants are expected to be available for the entire day without interruption or leaving early. Those who complete the course will receive a PR News workshop certificate and a letter from the publishers of PR News confirming participation and completion of this course.
Here’s just a taste of what attending a PR News conference is like.
Registration and Networking Breakfast
How to Manage Key Media Relationships in the Age of Social Media and Mobile
You’ll get both the PR professional’s and the journalist’s perspectives on building relationships with journalists and bloggers in this era of email and social media overload. Our media relations trainers, along with a panel of journalists, will provide real-world examples and case studies of pitches and relationship-building tactics that result in positive and fair media coverage of your brand.
- Key media relations principles, no matter who you are pitching
- How to develop valuable long-term relationships with journalists
- How to think like a journalist to anticipate their needs
- How to use social media to get noticed by journalists you don’t already know
- Interactive exercise: You’ll work in groups to craft a tweet pitch which you’ll then present to session trainers
BONUS TIP SHEET: The Five R’s of Media Relations—Becoming a Better Resource
PR Measurement: Building a Foundation in Metrics to Guarantee Your Future Success
To prove the value of your communications campaign successes you must deliver metrics that speak to your organization’s bottom line. This session will give you a grounding in practical, day-to-day approaches to metrics that you’ll be able to build upon as you make data a part of all your PR programs.
- How to set measurable PR objectives that are aligned with organizational objectives
- How to report data to senior leaders
- How to choose key performance indicators for your specific PR programs
- What you should look for in social media dashboards and measurement tools to be sure you have the information you need
BONUS REPORT: 5 Proven Tools to Effectively Measure Engagement and ROI on Social Media
Luncheon Keynote: ESPN’s 360 Degree Approach to Communications
You’ll learn from ESPN’s SVP of Corporate Communications, Chris LaPlaca, why he emphasizes that his team members become internal and external communications specialists, and why he puts an emphasis on building his team’s video and digital skills. Chris is a big believer in the need for communicators to be nimble and versatile in storytelling, and to fight against and break down silos—and will show you how to move along that path.
Interactive Crisis Management Workshop
Work in small groups with your fellow Boot Camp attendees as you immerse yourself in a mock crisis that threatens the reputation of an organization. Our crisis management trainers will define the crisis and begin their stopwatch—then it will be your team’s job to create a strategy that will measure the impact of the developing crisis in real time and point the way toward an appropriate response. Team leaders will share their strategies with all attendees, and our workshop leaders will analyze the results to create a set of best practices.
- How to prevent or deter issues from escalating into a crisis
- Cutting down cycle time: how to stay in touch with your online audience even as senior leaders scrutinize every message
- How to identify a crisis, how to evaluate emerging situations and what to do in the first 24 hours
- How to engage company employees as well as friends, fans and followers in the crisis communication effort
- Interactive exercise: Working tables will be handed a major PR crisis and will have to work quickly as a group to brainstorm solutions that they will then present to Boot Camp attendees
BONUS: Brand Vulnerability Checklist
State of Social Media: What It Means for Your Brand
You may be a social media expert using social platforms to build brand and broadcast messages. But what’s your next step? Are you ready to be a social media change agent? Your company and your career depend on your leading a new breed of social engagement that disrupts business models of companies both big and small. You’ll learn how to create momentum within your organization to turn business as usual into buzz as usual.
- Best practices for listening and engagement across platforms
- How to create social media strategies that both align with your organization’s business goals and help your organization evolve to meet new audience expectations
- How to determine what your audience wants from your organization on social channels
- How to make real-time conversations part of your organization’s DNA
BONUS CHECKLIST: Identify Your Brand’s Values & Audience for Social Media